1. There is an old farm house I have passed many times when I go for bike rides, in the middle of a beautiful open field. Every time I pass by, I see a little old German man sitting with his goats. He has a beer in his hand, a straw hat on his head, and weeks worth of filth overalls on his tiny frame. He is the most adorable depiction of Bavaria.
I passed by recently and gave him a quick “German nod” of hello (it’s such a common way to acknowledge people here) and it made my day.
2. I am notorious for taking scissors to the back of my head when I start to feel my hair flipping. Quarantine was no exception, and I snipped a good amount of hair from the bottom. It’s never even, and it always looks terrible.
When I finally got a haircut, the woman who snipped my hair was laughing and making fun of me in her native language (I believe she is middle eastern), but it was great. She’s veracious with her gestures towards me, but it’s all in good fun. I have had my hair cut by her twice now, and it’s never a dull time despite the intense language barriers.
3. For someone who used to be so hyper-focused on exercise being a form of achievement, never slowing down to smell the roses, I am proud of how I often approach biking these days. I have to be mindful of my intentions still, but even if my intentions aren’t pure I have no problem hopping off my bike for a moment to snap a photo.
And if I see a cat? It’s game over and I am off my bike for at least five minutes.
Or livestock…basically if I see an animal I have the potential of touching I am off and trying to summon them to me.
4. I don’t eat bread much, or any grains really (unless I want to suffer the consequences), but I have been eating a lot of nut butters lately. They’re hit or miss for me, but I try to put them on something so I don’t get lost with my spoon in the jar. I put them on weird things. My latest enjoyment is smothering hardboiled eggs or potatoes with cashew butter.
5. I have mentioned this before, but I really, really enjoy cemeteries. I don’t know what it is about them, but the peaceful energy brings such stillness to my soul. Sometimes I will go to one near where I live and just sit.
6. I am a new member of the seasonal allergies club, and I would like my money back. I have never had these before, but I have now experienced the non stop watering/itchy eyes, itchy nose, and intense sneezing. I made it to 31 before the darkness came.
7. When I first moved to Germany, I told myself I would hike the tallest mountain in the country – which happens to be in my backyard. A year and some change later I still have not hiked the Zugspitze, and my interest has faded. Mountains in Germany are crazy, and there are too many sheer rock walls for my liking.
And a Klettersteig? Count me out.
8. I haven’t been to the dentist in over two years. Thankfully I have always had a healthy smile (except for that root canal I got because of an unknown gaping hole in my jaw which turned out to be a mandibular cyst), but two years without a cleaning is too long. I have an appointment next month.
9. My roommate MaryBeth has moved on to her next chapter of life, and I miss her terribly. She is still in Germany, so if I get the itch and the time off I can still go see her, but it’s not the same. I am thankful for all our adventures together, including our last few hikes, bike rides, and coffee dates.
10. In my last EMC post I talked about how I cleaned my bike and oiled my chain. This time I talk about how I tightened and readjusted my bike breaks. Me, I, myself. I YouTubed it and fixed them and I feel like a bike boss.
Q: What’s your confession?