1. Long time no talk. How about a “what’s new” Early Morning Confessions style post? For starters I got a new bike. I actually got a new mountain bike, but then realized I don’t like mountain biking much. I like forest service roads, and I like long distances through designated trails, but I don’t like single tracks.
Thankfully I bought the bike at REI, and they have a fantastic return policy. So I returned this bike, and bought a new gravel bike instead. Oh, and I also had to order them both online. It’s hard to buy a bike online! The first bike was too big for me, but thankfully my new gravel gal is just right.
My longest distance with her at one time thus far has been 20 miles. Our love affair is a slow build, as I am still getting used to drop handle bars.
2. Duncan got a new bike too. Same story. Bought a mtn bike, and changed to gravel. We now have the same exact bike. I made sure we got different pedals though, we can’t be exactly the same after all. I now have three bikes, and I officially understand the n+1 problem when it comes to owning bikes…
3. Speaking of Duncan, he and I went to a cat cafe recently and it was so unbelievably enjoyable. I’ve been wanting to do something like that for a while now, and we started small with a cafe close-ish to home. Seattle has a few bigger cafes we might visit in time, but Catffeinated was a great intro.
4. I have been an absolute tornado in the kitchen the last month. Winter blues always bite me in the backside causing me to feel temptations I don’t normally feel during the warmer months, but it’s worse when I start to feel stagnant. I know this about myself – I start feeling a need for change and when I don’t make a change my brain starts to allow my body to take less care of itself.
5. Case in point.
6. Legendary Doughnuts was visited after the cat cafe, and inhibitions were down after an hour of kitty time. Duncan bought a dozen doughnuts and I decided to YOLO that day. What I am about to say next will be shocking, so brace yourself.
We ate all but maybe 2 donuts in one day. ALL OF THEM.
I know I need to go easy on myself when these splurges happen, but it can be hard to completely let go of food anxiety. At the end of the day I do not regret consuming my body weight in gluten filled pillows of sugar heaven, but it did take me 48 hours to feel like I could function normally. The joy’s of a 30 something with food sensitivities.
7. Despite my tornado like behavior, I think my consistent activity helps to thwart any drastic changes to my body after these caloric surpluses. Hiking and biking are my best of friends. And Duncan, he is my best of friend too.
8. At the end of March I had the stomach flu for 24 hours, and it was the most brutal experience I have endured in a very long time. I would rather have Covid again, than to ever puke for 8 hours straight. The lingering effects lasted for a few days, but I am thankful I didn’t have weeks of recovery like some do.
9. I have the itch to work a seasonal job again, somewhere in the deep heart of Alaska, or Wyoming. I am not entirely against this idea, but I also have the itch to build a tiny little life in a tiny little space in a tiny little town with my tiny little cat in a tiny little hat.
10. One week from today, Duncan and I will have been dating for a year. I am flabbergasted by this, for so many reasons. Perhaps I will write a post dedicated to Duncan and I, and some of our back story, but for now I say this – I am beyond blessed to have someone like him in my life. Swoon.
Q: What’s your confession?
32 thoughts on “Early Morning Confessions”
Martin C. Fredricks IV
Love this idea. Like an easy, over-coffee & muffins catch-up.
Thank you! These are my favorite posts to write.
I just love this so much. Well, I’m aghast at eating TEN gluten and sugar filled donuts, but c’est la vie! LOL! And, you know I’m a tiny house fan. 🙂
I don’t even know who I am when those sugar intakes occur. LOLOL I MEAAANNN, I had more like five after you calculate the bites between us both (this is no better.)
Love this post! Confession? We are only financially set through June…stressing, but hopeful a door will open!
Oh goodness. That is definitely stressful, I will be sending prayers your way!
HappyGirl….so nice to read over my morning coffee.
The cat in the hat…does not look as happy as all that. 😂😂
I promise no cats were harmed in the taking of that photo. 😂 He is such a trooper.
So’s mine. Watch yer back…Lol!
SO good to hear from you again! Glad to hear things are going well for you.
So good to hear from YOU! I hope you’re doing well. ❤️
Your morning confessions are one of my favorite reads. Your new bike looks like a beauty. I personally would never buy a dozen doughnuts because I could never leave two; I would eat them ALL.😋 I am so happy you and Duncan found each other. You make a cute couple.
Love you mucho.
I also would never buy a dozen, and when he said he was going to I felt the earth fall from beneath me. I knew right then and there I would be consuming more than I should. 🤣
Love you love you!
I wish I had more time for all the post updates I receive. I loved this post, reading about your bike (20 miles ! Bravo) and was intrigued by the Catfeinated and Legendary Donuts. A one year anniversary definitely deserves donuts! My hat off to you and your beau. – David
Thank you, if only I could share a donut through the screen. Although, knowing me they’d be gone too fast. 🤪
As Oscar Wilde said – I can resist anything, except temptation.
Oink. Nice bike. You’ll get 15 miles to the cruller.
Oh my gosh. 😂🤣
Oh, how I would LOVE to eat that many donuts in one day! I haven’t had even one in ages. And I’ve never heard of a cat cafe.
I admire your ability to stay away. I don’t seek out the donuts myself, but I’m often surrounded by them (at work, at home, with my partner.) Most days I turn the other way, but some days I dive in head first!
Oh yeah, stuff like that was always around when I was working, but I am better at resisting it now. But sometimes we all must splurge!
OMG…….You are speaking my language 😂😂😂😂
Once drove thru the drive thru at Krispy Kreme bought a dozen Hot glazed donuts in my pajama’s and made it home with an empty box😋
Needless to say I was worthless the rest of the day…….
Keep me posted if You jaunt off for a bit , life is sounding pretty good,
LOLOL. We are kindred spirits my friend. Those hot glazed donuts from KK are like air. How easy they go down…
Mmmmm… donuts. We also use different pedals but in hindsight, I think the same pedals are a wise choice should there ever be a need for one rider to ride out the others bike. We’ve had catastrophic failures on rides but never had that situation. Just something I think about as one who likes to be prepared.
You make an excellent point! I do feel comfortable with the pedals he has should I need to ride it, but for future same pedals isn’t a bad idea.
There’s something very refreshing and authentic about this post. And when you mentioned REI, I had to take a moment. Living in Ecuador (far, far away from an REI), I found myself feeling … sad. Anyway, enjoy biking and hiking. Lots of that here if you want to do a lil international travel. 😉
Thank you! I understand your sadness about REI, I lived in Germany for two years and missed REI terribly. They have similar stores, but it was never quite the same.
I would love to visit Ecuador, it’s on my list even if only for the avocados! 🤣
So happy that things are going swell for you ❤
On the topic of happiness and trying to the best things for our mental health, I made the decision tosay bye bye to Instagram lol. I told people who care I'll be on my blog, but I can't handle the toxic wasteland social media has, and continues, to become.
Hoping we can continue our connection via our dear blogs ❤
I love this for you! I got off IG in February for about two months, and just recently popped back on. I go on here and there, but I won’t keep the app on my phone anymore.
I think deleting it all together can be extremely powerful! I did find blogging to be more enjoyable in those times I was off IG. We will absolutely stay connected through blogs, two of the last remaining bloggers from the OG era!
Congrats on the new bike! Also, working in Alaska would be so cool! As cool as a cat in a hat. Or going to a cat cafe 🙂
I want to hear the Duncan backstory!!
Thank you! I would love to work in Alaska, it was either Alaska or Germany when I moved to DE. I suppose Alaska is next!?