1. There is an old farm house I have passed many times when I go for bike rides, in the middle of a beautiful open field. Every time I pass by, I see a little old German man sitting with his goats. He has a beer in his hand, a straw hat on his head, and weeks worth of filth overalls on his tiny frame. He is the most adorable depiction of Bavaria.
I passed by recently and gave him a quick “German nod” of hello (it’s such a common way to acknowledge people here) and it made my day.
2. I am notorious for taking scissors to the back of my head when I start to feel my hair flipping. Quarantine was no exception, and I snipped a good amount of hair from the bottom. It’s never even, and it always looks terrible.
When I finally got a haircut, the woman who snipped my hair was laughing and making fun of me in her native language (I believe she is middle eastern), but it was great. She’s veracious with her gestures towards me, but it’s all in good fun. I have had my hair cut by her twice now, and it’s never a dull time despite the intense language barriers.
3. For someone who used to be so hyper-focused on exercise being a form of achievement, never slowing down to smell the roses, I am proud of how I often approach biking these days. I have to be mindful of my intentions still, but even if my intentions aren’t pure I have no problem hopping off my bike for a moment to snap a photo.
And if I see a cat? It’s game over and I am off my bike for at least five minutes.
Or livestock…basically if I see an animal I have the potential of touching I am off and trying to summon them to me.
4. I don’t eat bread much, or any grains really (unless I want to suffer the consequences), but I have been eating a lot of nut butters lately. They’re hit or miss for me, but I try to put them on something so I don’t get lost with my spoon in the jar. I put them on weird things. My latest enjoyment is smothering hardboiled eggs or potatoes with cashew butter.
5. I have mentioned this before, but I really, really enjoy cemeteries. I don’t know what it is about them, but the peaceful energy brings such stillness to my soul. Sometimes I will go to one near where I live and just sit.
6. I am a new member of the seasonal allergies club, and I would like my money back. I have never had these before, but I have now experienced the non stop watering/itchy eyes, itchy nose, and intense sneezing. I made it to 31 before the darkness came.
7. When I first moved to Germany, I told myself I would hike the tallest mountain in the country – which happens to be in my backyard. A year and some change later I still have not hiked the Zugspitze, and my interest has faded. Mountains in Germany are crazy, and there are too many sheer rock walls for my liking.
And a Klettersteig? Count me out.
8. I haven’t been to the dentist in over two years. Thankfully I have always had a healthy smile (except for that root canal I got because of an unknown gaping hole in my jaw which turned out to be a mandibular cyst), but two years without a cleaning is too long. I have an appointment next month.
9. My roommate MaryBeth has moved on to her next chapter of life, and I miss her terribly. She is still in Germany, so if I get the itch and the time off I can still go see her, but it’s not the same. I am thankful for all our adventures together, including our last few hikes, bike rides, and coffee dates.
10. In my last EMC post I talked about how I cleaned my bike and oiled my chain. This time I talk about how I tightened and readjusted my bike breaks. Me, I, myself. I YouTubed it and fixed them and I feel like a bike boss.
Q: What’s your confession?
25 thoughts on “Early Morning Confessions”
Dear Brit, You are a gifted writer and photographer. Thank you,
Papa, your comments always mean so much to me. Love you bunches. Thank you.
It’s good to take stock of things for sure. Hm, I guess I am saddened at the US and hope folks get their senses back. I have been righteousnessly indignant in prayer.
I too have been praying a bit harder for America.
You have a gifted way with your verse,
(I’ll try to make my comment real terse),
With photos to boot,
You are a real hoot,
And your Dad I think is much worse!
This…made me laugh out loud. And it made my day.
Papa sorta looks a bit just like me,
Similarities rather easy to see
Bald just like him,
But my name is not Jim
Up and down in the water…that I be
You’re killing me. 😂 I love you both very much.
Like your last confession post…I plead the 5th. Hahaha
One day you will feel safe enough to share. Perhaps. Haha!
1) I quit college when I almost had my AA. Math is not my friend. Almost made it to UW Bothell.
2) I have a love for penguins even at age 37.
3) No one likes Nickelback, I like one song from them when I was younger listening to the radio in my parents garage while working on my custom mini truck back in the day. “Leader of Men” is the song. Early 2000s. Don’t hate. I also don’t make it public. Except now, with you.
4) My anxiety has turned my life upside down. Staying home sounds better than going out lately.
5) I’m not perfect, I never gave up on my marriage, she did. But always takes 2 to tango.
6) I go to a therapist and a psychologist. To help myself.
7) I was going to send a care package to someone over seas last year but got embarrassed and nervous. I even had it all put together and backed out.
8) I love John Wayne movies. Even though with all the culture stuff going on, I can’t change the past.
9) I like crunchy peanut butter.
10) Starwars is overrated and annoying.
11) I always thought comic books were fun but never got into them. The art is fun.
12) Hilary Duff is my celebrity crush. Only because she didn’t go insane like the others and is a good role model to other girls and maybe boys? hopefully my daughter will follow her someday.
13) I guess I felt safe enough to share now.
This comment…is hands down the best comment I’ve ever received on one of these posts. I thank you and commend you for your openness!
1. No one likes math, and those who do I’m convinced are slightly unbalanced. Sorry not sorry. Also college isn’t for everyone and that’s ok!
2. Penguins are fantastic. I used to be obsessed with them.
3. Literally had a very similar conversation the other day. Your secret is safe with me. I am not a fan. LOL.
4. I relate more than you know. And I agree 100%.
5. No ones perfect. Everything happens for a reason. You give it your all and sometimes it still doesn’t work. That doesn’t make you a failure.
6. I’ve been putting very minimal effort into finding a therapist. It needs to be a priority for me. Sigh.
7. You should have sent it. 🙂
8. I’ve never seen any, but sometimes old classics are classic for a reason.
9. CPB IS LIFE.
10. First confession I disagree with. Though episodes 1-3 are not my favorite.
11. I read the funnies in the paper growing up, does that count?
12. HD is great. My celebrity crushes (I have two), are Gerard Butler, who was drunk in public probably more than once. And Adrien Brody, who doesn’t seem to have a record. That I know of.
13. I’m glad you did. Vulnerability makes us stronger!
I can not tell a lie….
I just ate a bag of Oreo cookies
And they were delightful…❤️☺️
First Oreos in about 20 years…..
Sining is good every now and then🙋
20 years!? I am amazed you have withstood that long. My pastor and I just had a meeting, where he enjoyed a handful of Oreos. They’re such a classic.
Ahhhhhhhhhh I always LOVE your confessions posts!!! If I saw a cat on my bike ride… I’d start pedaling as fast as I could in the other direction. Cats TERRIFY me. 🙈 Slightly embarrassing but true! Cows, on the other hand, would definitely make me hop off the bike. And try to feed or pet them. So I suppose my confession is that I once had a 20-minute conversation with a day-old calf! It didn’t yet recognize its mother’s moo… So I would moo at it, and it would moo back at me. It was the coolest thing!! And it never happened again. 🐮😢🙊 Such a fun memory though! 😉
AHH I love your confession, what a cool experience! Also, I cannot fathom being afraid of cats. But that’s coming from someone who is afraid of slugs…soooo. I’m not really one to talk. 😂
Bahahaha too funny!! We all have our quirks! 🐱🐌😉
Bradley on the Run
I love cemeteries too, especially really old ones.
They are so peaceful.
Love these early morning confessions. I would be the same way with hopping off my bike if there was any remote chance of interacting with an animal 🙂
I’m glad I’m not the only animal fanatic! It’s heightened over here because I don’t have any pets in my daily life to play with!
Love the blog. Great job documenting your travels, and your photos are simply beautiful!
Pingback: Early Morning Confessions | Blissfulbritt