For the past few months, I’ve had a jar of coconut butter staring at me each time I open my pantry. I go into that pantry around 4 times a day, do the math..that’s a lot of stares.
It took some time, but I finally figured out what I wanted to make. Something rich, something creamy, something chocolate! This recipe took some twists and turns, but I finally settled on something worth posting. I started out making these…
…but quickly decided they needed some help. I love coconut oils and butters, but the flavor is VERY strong. The texture of these fudge squares was perfect, but the flavor..too strong. There is only one flavor I’ve been completely successful with when it comes to toning down the almost overwhelming flavor of the coconut, and it just so happens to be a classic flavor.
Chocolate has a way of covering up the coconut flavor like nothing else! This experiment reminded me of the time I tried to get wild using coconut oil in a vanilla frosting, but was reminded why I always go with chocolate. I still haven’t figured out how to make it work!
Double Chocolate Cocoa Melts
- 1 cup softened/melted coconut butter (should be well combined, soak your jar in hot water and stir well before adding to the mix)
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tblsp maple syrup
- 3 tblsp unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 2 tblsp tiny dark chocolate chips
- handful of large dark chocolate chips
- Combine coconut butter, almond butter, vanilla, and maple syrup into a sauce pan and stir until well combined.
- Once combined add in the cocoa powder, stir, and then add in the tiny chocolate chips.
- Heat on low until the chocolate chips are melted into the mix.
- Once combined, pour into a wax paper lined 8×8 (or something similar) dish and sprinkle (as many as you want) the large chocolate chips on top.
- Place dish into the freezer until hardened.
Not only do you get to satisfy your sweet craving with these rich and smooth melts, they’re JAM packed full of HEALTHY fats AND minerals from the cocoa. Sure, there is some sugar in the chocolate chips/maple syrup..but we can just highlight the benefits! 😉 Besides, these are SO rich, you’ll be completely satisfied with just one square. I know..who am I!
Q: Do you have a good vegan fudge recipe?! Send me the link!