There is nothing quite like having a sweet, sugary, crumbly treat along side my morning cup of coffee. It takes my entire coffee savoring experience from an 8 to a 10. Mornings are my favorite, but mornings with coffee and cake are mornings started right.
This recipe was a bit of an experiment. After combining all of my ingredients and making a dough that looked more like a cookie, I was hesitant and expected the worst. Thankfully, as things usually do when I expect the worst, these coffee cake muffins turned out great.
Blueberry Coffee Cake Muffins
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk
- 1 tblsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 tblsp melted coconut oil
- 2 cups GF flour (I used this one)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup xylitol
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tblsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup frozen (or fresh) blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix almond milk and vinegar together and set aside to sour/curdle. Do this first!
- Combine your flour, sugar, xylitol, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt together. Combine well.
- Pour melted coconut oil into your vinegar/almond milk mixture, and then pour into your dry ingredients.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Pour into muffin tin and top with sugar crumble (recipe below)
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.
- 3 tblsp GF flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 tblsp melted Earth Balance vegan butter
- Mix dry ingredients together, and then add vegan butter.
Notes: I used a 1 to 1 wheat flour replacement, which means I didn’t need to add anything alongside my GF flour. If you are using a different GF flour for the muffins, add 1/2 tsp xanthan gum. If you don’t have, or don’t want to use xylitol swap it out for regular sugar.
A word of advice: These are best eaten in some kind of bowl, or plate with walls. This ensures maximum crumble consumption, and provides an excuse to be paired with ice cream. As with most of my treats, these tasted better as time went on!
Q: What’s your favorite morning splurge? I used to be all about that cookie and coffee life, but these mini cakes rocked my face…hard.