My eats have been somewhat black and white lately. Smoothies, salads, vegetables, sweet potatoes, tempeh, and pretzels. What can I say, sometimes I like simple.
Dessert has been a hefty bowl of rice chex mix with almond butter and cacao nibs, because I’m currently obsessed with them. OH, and chocolate. Always chocolate.
Eating a consistent diet most of the time makes the days I do “splurge” that much more rewarding. If I eat like a teenage boy every single day, I pay for it.
After my root canal last week I had plans to venture to Seattle for a run at the lake and a feast to follow. I planned this adventure days in advance. Thankfully everything went smooth with my tooth, allowing me to run and eat just fine.
I ran five miles, and walked another four miles before ending up at stop number one. A local vegan cafe with a menu packed full of hearty comfort food. I went with tempeh “bacon”, spinach, and tomatoes wrapped in a rice tortilla.
In an attempt to keep the space in my gut free for the main event, I walked to and from the cafe. My main objective was to visit my current favorite V/GF bakery in the quaint Seattle neighborhood of Fremont. I love eating local.
Scratch that, I love eating…period.
I walked in with my morals, and walked out with 5 extra pounds.
It started off innocent, one cupcake for me, a scone to share, and a slice of berry coffee cake perhaps for another day. Then I saw the pizza…THE pizza that would soon become one of the best slices of pizza to ever pass through my largest facial orifice.
I struggle to find the right words to describe this, I couldn’t believe it was gluten free.
I thought I was home free after snagging a slice, and then I saw the discount bin. You know, the one that’s tucked to the side that slowly calls to your soul telling you to splurge on day old items that you definitely don’t need, but that you definitely want.
On top of the scone, the coffee cake, the cupcake, and the pizza I also bought three brownies. Ready for the kicker? I ate a brownie right away. Then I ate the coffee cake, followed by half of the scone. The best part…I felt completely fine.
No sick stomach, no bloat, no guilt. A few hours later I ate the pizza and then demolished my cupcake leaving me with nothing left (I gave the other two brownies and half of the scone to my mom and sister.) My soul and body were equally full.
Moral of my story is this: when you eat clean 85% of your days, the remaining 15% of indulgences taste so much sweeter. Today I’m going to the dentist to get a crown, and if another day like this is coming my way I’ll get dental work done anytime. Kidding.
Four treats in one day will not be a regular occurrence. Thank goodness for running.
Q: Do you eat whatever you want everyday, or do you moderate what goes into your tank? I feel really crummy when I eat poorly too many days in a row.