Most of you know by now I ran another half marathon this past Sunday, and most of you know that I didn’t really train for it. I ran maybe three times within the month leading up to the race, the furthest distance being 5 miles. I am here to share with you what follows after a half marathon that you don’t really train for (strictly from my experience.) I will note that I did run a half marathon October 13, so I wasn’t completely at square one.
First and foremost this was the first half that I ran with hunger pangs. I tend to not be hungry for hours after a long run, but I started to feel my stomach beast knocking around mile 9. Surprisingly I only ate two of the six Shot Bloks I had with me, I was more in the mood for real food. I already shared my decadent donuts with you all, but for good measure I’ll show them again…mainly because I just love looking at them.
Directly after the race I ate a donut. Not the smartest idea, but I earned that shiat and I wolfed it down like a dog protecting his kibble. Once I made it home I was so hungry I was loosing my vision. OK not really, but I nearly fought my cat for a scrap of PB. Not really again..I don’t know where I am going with this. OH yes, after the race. I ate this..
Plus another basket of fries. I was in such a carb coma I thought I was seeing unicorns made out of bread. It was pure magic. After walking around a bit I came home and ate more sugar. Clearly my body was saying, “HEY, I was not prepared for over two hours of running..fuel me up NOW..with sugar..and carbs.” Now I must detox from sugar.
The real fun part of the aftermath was the next day. I woke up and nearly fell out of my bed. I was SO unbelievably sore it wasn’t even funny. Every time I had to bend down at work I let out a loud moan that sounded like I was being stabbed in the back. Note to self: recovery is SLOW when you are under-trained!! PREPARE TO BE SORE! I was sore through Tuesday, but somehow managed to go to spin class. It totally helped.
Long story short here is what I learned going into a half marathon unprepared:
- It’s possible. You CAN run a half marathon unprepared. It will hurt, you will want to die, and you will want to stop..but you won’t and you will get donuts when you’re done.
- You will immediately be sore, and continue to be sore for DAYS after your race. MAJOR DOMS up in this biatch.
- You will be hungry all day compared to having a minimal appetite. This part I loved.
- You will feel like a boss, because you pulled 13 miles out of your back pocket.
- You will realize anything is possible.
- You will walk like a pregnant turtle with baby eggs stuck to her backside.
- You will decide it was all worth it, and you will want to look for another race just like you do when you train.
- Water helps…DRINK IT. Oh and stretch, a lot.
- The runners high of finishing a race is still amazing, if not better.
- Did I mention donuts?
Q: Now who’s ready to sign up for 13 miles of pure awesome