1. You refuse to buy groceries until you finish nearly everything you already have. This morning I had orange juice with my cereal because I was out of almond milk.
2. Your idea of a pedicure is running completely barefoot (no socks, no Vibrams..bare feet) on your treadmill, followed by coconut oil as a moisturizer. The treadmill was supposed to be the “exfoliating” part, but backfired and actually made my feet worse. Pedicures are expensive, and my feet will just get beat up again in 5days.
3.You make your own Halloween costumes. I will never pay the ridiculous prices for the costumes these days. Last year I was a cat (original I know, whatever it takes to get free candy) and the year before..salt and pepppaah baby!
4. Your car is starting to run funny, but it takes you a week to call to make an apt. OK so this isn’t funny, and this really just happened. I am afraid of what might be wrong with my Babylove..but I made the call..she’s going in on Monday.
5. Your favorite shoes are the same pair you have had since you were 16 (I am now 22) and they are falling apart, yet you refuse you purchase another pair. I slip constantly due to lack of traction, and get comments about my shoes being “broken” all the time.
6. On the rare occasion you need a daily dose of quick Vitamin D, you sneakily use the tanning bed at the apartments where your friend lives. I sneak in like a stealth ninja, put her name on the list, and park far away. I wont pay for skin cancer, so this is the way to go.
7. You’ve been due for an upgrade on your cell phone for two years, but for some reason don’t use it. No big deal right? Well when your phone is broken, and doesn’t lock shut that’s when you know there’s a problem.
8. You buy round bottom coffee filers because they are $1.23. My coffee pot uses cone bottom filters. Those were a dollar more! No thanks.
9. You home make your friends birthday gifts because spending a lot of money is just not going to happen. OK maybe it’s just me..but I like homemade gifts 23957 times more than store bought ones (usually.) Picture frame, and shot glass!
10. Your idea of a fun day out, is anything that is free. Walking around the city, walking around a grocery store, going for a bike ride, spending time with friends or family. If it’s free, it’s a good time.
In reality, I think for me it’s all about where my priorities lie. I go out of my way to save money and find great deals, but I will spend as much as I need for quality food, and body care. I buy organic when I can, I spend the extra penny for fresh foods, I don’t use chemically laden body lotions, I buy the more expensive floss in the store, more expensive electric toothbrush (dental diseases are expensive), expensive blender (store bought smoothies add up!), expensive car (medical bills aren’t cheap..11 airbags..yes please!)…and the list goes on.
My motto is simple: If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! Or, if it still works..why replace it? My shoes may cause me to slip..but they still protect my feet. My phone may be half disconnected from the base, but I can still make phone calls. My food is all going to the same place so who needs milk with cereal!? The OJ was surprisingly not bad! My health however is not easily replaceable..so I take all the precautions to make sure I stay healthy and happy, whatever it takes.
- What are some ways you are a frugal beast?
- Do your friends or family give you a hard time about your frugality? Family no, in fact my dad was prob my cheap inspiration..my friends all the time. They laugh at me, but I laugh back when I see that I am rubbing off on them and they go for the store brand instead of name brand.