1. You refuse to buy groceries until you finish nearly everything you already have. This morning I had orange juice with my cereal because I was out of almond milk.
2. Your idea of a pedicure is running completely barefoot (no socks, no Vibrams..bare feet) on your treadmill, followed by coconut oil as a moisturizer. The treadmill was supposed to be the “exfoliating” part, but backfired and actually made my feet worse. Pedicures are expensive, and my feet will just get beat up again in 5days.
3.You make your own Halloween costumes. I will never pay the ridiculous prices for the costumes these days. Last year I was a cat (original I know, whatever it takes to get free candy) and the year before..salt and pepppaah baby!
4. Your car is starting to run funny, but it takes you a week to call to make an apt. OK so this isn’t funny, and this really just happened. I am afraid of what might be wrong with my Babylove..but I made the call..she’s going in on Monday.
5. Your favorite shoes are the same pair you have had since you were 16 (I am now 22) and they are falling apart, yet you refuse you purchase another pair. I slip constantly due to lack of traction, and get comments about my shoes being “broken” all the time.
6. On the rare occasion you need a daily dose of quick Vitamin D, you sneakily use the tanning bed at the apartments where your friend lives. I sneak in like a stealth ninja, put her name on the list, and park far away. I wont pay for skin cancer, so this is the way to go.
7. You’ve been due for an upgrade on your cell phone for two years, but for some reason don’t use it. No big deal right? Well when your phone is broken, and doesn’t lock shut that’s when you know there’s a problem.
8. You buy round bottom coffee filers because they are $1.23. My coffee pot uses cone bottom filters. Those were a dollar more! No thanks.
9. You home make your friends birthday gifts because spending a lot of money is just not going to happen. OK maybe it’s just me..but I like homemade gifts 23957 times more than store bought ones (usually.) Picture frame, and shot glass!
10. Your idea of a fun day out, is anything that is free. Walking around the city, walking around a grocery store, going for a bike ride, spending time with friends or family. If it’s free, it’s a good time.
In reality, I think for me it’s all about where my priorities lie. I go out of my way to save money and find great deals, but I will spend as much as I need for quality food, and body care. I buy organic when I can, I spend the extra penny for fresh foods, I don’t use chemically laden body lotions, I buy the more expensive floss in the store, more expensive electric toothbrush (dental diseases are expensive), expensive blender (store bought smoothies add up!), expensive car (medical bills aren’t cheap..11 airbags..yes please!)…and the list goes on.
My motto is simple: If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! Or, if it still works..why replace it? My shoes may cause me to slip..but they still protect my feet. My phone may be half disconnected from the base, but I can still make phone calls. My food is all going to the same place so who needs milk with cereal!? The OJ was surprisingly not bad! My health however is not easily replaceable..so I take all the precautions to make sure I stay healthy and happy, whatever it takes.
- What are some ways you are a frugal beast?
- Do your friends or family give you a hard time about your frugality? Family no, in fact my dad was prob my cheap inspiration..my friends all the time. They laugh at me, but I laugh back when I see that I am rubbing off on them and they go for the store brand instead of name brand.
24 thoughts on “10 Reasons Proving You’re a Cheap/Frugal Beast”
Holy moly! OJ in cereal?! I’m frugal, but I don’t think I’ve ever tried that before haha! 😀
My frugality beast qualities? Hmm…I LOVE shopping at thrift stores and getting cool clothes and such, except when the stuff smells like hobo and I, too, make all of my friends gifts, despite the fact some of them turn out looking like a preschooler’s project 😉 I also have been known to coupon like no one’s business! oh I love being frugal 🙂
I hope to see you on extreme couponing one of these days! That show is unnnreal and so intense!
Haha, this post really made me laugh 😀 Great tips, but I think Ill ship the OJ on cereal 😛
Im actually terrible at saving money. I really try to, but I always end up using too much! I have stopped my crazy internet shopping though.. I used to but so much clothes online. Now I only buy food there (from iherb)- that saves me a lot of money!
Yes! Saving money from shopping online is gold! P.S. I just checked out iherb.com, wowzza! They have some baller deals on there! I love this site already.
I tried the same thing as a pedi substitute, except ran on the beach instead. It really did not work!
Overall….I’m not frugal. I should probably try a little more!
I would totally think the sand would work really well as an exfoliant!? Good to know, I won’t try that then!
This post just made me appreciate being frugal and has encouraged me to try to be more frugal. I’m notorious for spending money I don’t need to…
It’s not as hard as it may seem! Even cutting back on one thing here and there helps!
I think I pretty much follow your philosophy. Paying for good-for-you food is expensive but worth it in the long run! I save money by using the library a ton for music, books, movies and drinking primarily water (versus juice or anything). Lol I know I do more things but they’re secondnature so I don’t even realize what they are anymore. I love your homemade gifts! Homemade gift for my dad’s bday tomorrow= cake!
Ohh I loove the library! I stick with H2O too, it’s free AND good for you..win win! Your dad is one lucky guy for getting a homemade cake!!
yes! I am such a frugal beast. I love using up every blessed thing in my house before I buy new ones. It almost makes that shopping trip just better. Even if things are on sale, my motto is “you save more if you don’t buy it!”
and I’m always game for anything that is free. Libraries? museums? grocery stores especially. nothing wrong with window shopping! Long walks? count me in!
this post cracked me up, btw. I def have shoes I’ve worn forevvvver. My mom tried to get me to leave them in a foreign country before. I nearly did.
I agree, it really does make shopping better when you are totally out! No worry of wasting! It’s funny how other people don’t understand and try to get us to ditch our belongings because they are “old” to them. Baha. Frugalista’s unite!
Hahahaha number 6 made me laugh out loud. My friend used to that that at our old apt complex too! That’s so funny. And I totally buy the round coffee filters, not the cone ones, for the same reason. I can smash that circle one into a cone.But seriously, why are the cones more expensive?!
It’s unfair that the cone filters are more expensive, AND you get half the amount you would with round bottom!?
A. love the Birkenstocks ❤ heart
B. I am sooo frugal all my cloths and shoes are so old and I'm JUUSSSTT starting to update and "mature" my wardrobe
Haha “mature” is a good way to put it. I have TOO many clothes that are from my “immature” days I need to do the sameee thing.
I love frugal/cheap stuff! places like tj maxx is the shit. I go there to get all my kitchen stuff and workout clothes. I never spend a ton of money on workout clothes… or clothes in general. I’d rather put my money towards food. Seriously it’s the only thing I spend money on. Oh and I’ll splurge on certain electronics. and don’t ever take me to a place that sells kitchen/baking things cause I go crazy and want to buy the whole store even if I don’t need it.
Yessss TJ Maxx all the way!! Clothes are a waste of money..why can’t we all just run around naked..OK total joke no way would I EVER want to do that..or see anyone else doing that..well maybe some..but not most.
I’m so with you on all of these! I am so so cheap, it drives my hubby crazy. I buy most of our groceries from the 99cent store (they have some serious deal there!) and I won’t pay over $15 for a shirt (unless its for a special occasion, then I MIGHT splurge) I load up on splenda packets while at Starbucks so that I dont have to buy any (actually I do that at all restaurants, my hubby hides while I dump out the splenda and shove it in my purse) Like you I havent updated my phone in 2 years, even though I am eligible! I just dont see the need too. Who cares if my screen is broke and it freezes 50% of the time? 🙂
OH MY GOSH..I do the same thing on stocking up..with napkins, hot sauce, straws..anything..I will stash them in my bag so I don’t have to buy any. That is so funny. And for our phones…when they don’t turn on at ALL..that’s when it’s time to buy a new one! Hahaha.
Pingback: You can call me Betty Crocker | BlissfulBritt
Pingback: Manic Monday | BlissfulBritt
Do you have a Facebook Fan Page I could subscribe to?
No Facebook page, but you can enter your email and subscribe directly to my blog. On the right hand side under my picture there’s a box to subscribe in.