Sometimes things just go together. Peanut butter and jelly, chocolate and bananas, mornings and coffee…but all pairs need to be discovered by experimenting.
1. Multigrain chips and chocolate chips – As if chocolate could go wrong. I found that the salty chip and the sweet chocolate were harmonious in a way that only salty/sweet can be.
2. French press coffee and citrus peels – One of my favorite customers at work (Hi Drew!) told me to put a citrus peel of some kind in with my coffee. I took it up a notch and chose a specific coffee (Starbucks Kenya) because this coffee already has citrus notes, and I tossed in an orange peel. The citrus flavor was taken from an 8 to an 11. It was awesome.
3. Peanut butter Clif bar and almond butter/cinnamon – Ever slathered your PB energy bar of sorts with more nut butter? It’s mind blowing. Better yet, warm it up in the oven.
4. Frozen and fresh – I have a confession…I buy frozen waffles because I am too lazy to buy myself a waffle maker! I try to make myself feel fancy by jazzing them up.
5. Mexican spices and chocolate – OK so this isn’t uncommon, but this Mexican spice espresso cupcake rocked my face so hard. Obviously paired with coffee…
6. Pink boxes and sugar – I don’t know who decided that good things come in pink boxes, but they were right. First VooDoo, now Bearded Lady Food Co…I ran 7 miles, walked 3 more, and drove 2 hours round trip JUST for these…happy Easter to me.
Speaking of Bearded Lady, I am currently (aka always) obsessed with all things cupcake. They make the best vegan/GF treats I have ever had. I blogged about them once upon a time, but recently revamped my love for them. Cupcakes the size of my palm? Hell yes.
I want to live under their kitchen table…troll style.
Q: What pairings do you love that aren’t very common?