Last week I ran on my treadmill without wanting to blow up a building full of bunnies. Running inside on that hamster wheel makes me more angry than having to share my cupcakes. Usually I can’t stay on the treadmill for more than 3 miles, but I did and the run was actually very enjoyable. I was able to punch dance to some good music too.
To celebrate this running success (because I will find a reason to celebrate anything) I decided to bake! I haven’t baked in two months. That’s two months too long. After seeing some bananas in my kitchen that were on their last days of life, I knew what to bake. I had enough bananas to bake TWO variations of banana bread. One to honor summer, and one to move forward into fall..aka the best season..aka pumpkin central..aka I CAN’T WAIT!
“Hanging Onto Summer” Blueberry Banana Bread
- 3 large overly ripe bananas
- 2 tblsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 cup raspberry honey*
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
*I use honey in my baking, for a true vegan recipe use agave or molasses.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray or wipe a 9×5-inch loaf pan with oil.
- Mix the almond milk with 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice and let sit until it curdles.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas and add the remaining lemon juice, almond milk, and honey. Stir well to combine. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture, and stir just until the mixture is well-combined. Fold in the blueberries.
- Spread the mixture evenly in the prepared pan and bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50-60 minutes. Allow to cool before cutting and serving.
“Moving Forward to Fall” Pumpkin Cinnamon Banana Bread
- 2 overly ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- chia seed “egg” (1 tbsp chia seeds + 1/8 cup water)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 tblsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mash banana and then add the melted coconut oil, pumpkin puree, vanilla, chia seed “egg” and mix together.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine. Then add the cinnamon and stir.
- Pour into 4 small loaf pans, and then sprinkle cinnamon and nutmeg on top of each loaf. Bake for 50 minutes.
The pumpkin cinnamon loaves made my entire house smell like fall! I will be making this version again very soon. It was hands down my favorite. If I could make some changes I would have baked the blueberry bread in the four loaf pan as well to help minimize chewiness. Overall this was a successful 3.5 hrs in the kitchen.
Q: What’s your favorite version of banana bread?