Not to be misconstrued, I don’t have an addiction to food. I do however get a natural high of excitement and feel good endorphins anytime I find new food, find food on sale, or walk around a (health food) grocery store. It is my Disneyland away from Disneyland.
Shopping for food is something I find therapeutic. I can always count on a grocery store full of fresh produce, breads, and treats to brighten my day. This is a food blog after all, what else would you expect from me? I buy 90% of my groceries from TJ’s, which has set prices and items never go on sale. The other 10% comes from various local grocers. Each time I shop at these other stores I have two main goals:
- Find whats on sale
- Find something new
Simple game plan that always delivers. Buying items on sale is rewarding in a few ways..saving money is the main “duh” about this. I also enjoy stepping away of my normal purchases and trying different products. When I need a last minute option for bread, I will find whatever is on sale (and falls within vegan friendly/good nutrition stats) for the week. Same goes for crackers, cookies, candies, anything. I can’t help it, frugality is in my blood.
This week, the cheapest bread happened to be whole wheat burger buns. I didn’t anticipate having any burgers, but I made them work for sandwiches. LOTS of PB&J’s and a delicious sweet potato sandwich.
Those blue chips were 50% off original price. I get a high from saving money. I also get a high from using food out of my garden. Under that tomato is some of my Swiss chard and one of my onions!! I have started to thin out the onions, and have used the ones I pulled! They’re still on the smaller side, but the ones that stay in the garden will get nice and plump!
I’ve used these onions for the sandwich above, for vegan potato salad, (I also used the green stalks with this one) and with an asparagus/elephant garlic mixture. This elephant garlic was my new find of the week.
This odd looking veggie has a wonderful garlic flavor, and paired perfectly sauteed with asparagus and onions.
Finding a new item that is ALSO on sale is a goldmine. You should never let that opportunity pass. Next time you go to the store, check out the highlighted tags that show off the sale items. You never know, you could find your new favorite item!
- Do you ever use sale items as an excuse to try new things? I DO I DO!
- Where does your natural high come from? FOOD shopping, running, completing races, Manfriend, snuggling with my kittehs, gardening, eating clean and soooo on!