Grill Love

It’s finally time. The grill has been dusted off and used for the first time this season. Browned veggies and crispy pizza make for an unbeatable combination. My friend and I went to our friends house to make some grilled pizza’s. We made these last summer, but they ended up burning on the bottom (I still ate every last bite.) After some research we found that the pizza’s need indirect heat, opposed to being placed directly over the coals.

First things first, prepare the toppings. Grilled veggies, vegan sausage, and homemade pizza dough.

There were 7 small/medium pizza rounds prepared, and there were 4 people. Not everyone gets two, but I made sure I had two. Normally I have to shank people to get two pizzas, but fortunately the host knows I throw away a lot of food. While the dough was setting we took part in some appe-teasers.

Grilled peppers, grilled eggplant, and grilled oysters (for the non veggiebites.) Did I mention we used the grill? The eggplant was seasoned to perfection. After inhaling this produce, the main course was prepared.

Two vegan pizza’s, and a garden fresh salad full of Swiss chard, beets, and tomatoes.

If you haven’t tried a grilled pizza, I suggest you do this immediately. The flavor is unlike any pizza I have ever had. Be sure to indirectly heat the dough, and before applying any toppings quickly grill the side you’ll top to ensure crispy-ness on both sides.

Perfect Piadine Pizza Dough

• 1 active packet of yeast
  • Half a cup of lukewarm water
  • 4 cups flour
  • 1 cup cool water
  • 2tblsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 2tbsp salt

-Mix the yeast, warm water and 1/2 cup of flour. Let dough rise, about 20 minutes. Add 3 cups of flour, 1 cup cool water, olive oil, salt, and start kneading the dough. Continue until the flour is mixed in, and then add the remaining 1/2 cup of flour as needed to produce a moist and soft dough. After a fair amount of punching and kneading leave the dough on a floured surface and let rise, about an hour. Once ready to use the dough, roll out individual pieces and let sit for about 15 minutes to spread out completely.

This is some of the best dough I have had for a pizza base. Make this dough, and then buy a grill. Grill the dough and use it as a pillow. Do this because the dough is fluffy, and because it will make a great midnight snack. Hooray for foodie friend adventures!

Q: Have you had pizza made on a grill??

27 Responses to Grill Love

1. I looooveee grilling! These look to die for!

2. i haven’t made pizzas on the grill but i love making homemade pizza!

3. I’ve never made pizzas on the grill. Cool idea! Looks yummy!

4. Honey…these are killer! Absolutely killer! Now I wish we had a grill (okay, we have a teeny-tiny Hibachi).

5. Oh my word I am soo so jealous of you getting your grill on, everything looks truly glorious! I have never even tried pizza on the grill… I think I am missing out, so that needs to change

Homemade pizzas on the grill?!?! You are my hero!! All of those noms are makin my mouth water like Niagara falls. It’s official, I’m booking a plane ticket to come out there so you can cook for me forever haha :)

7. pbbrittany says:

I’ve never made pizzas on the grill, but now I really want to! Those look amazing.

8. Shira says:

Looks amazing Brittany! I don’t grill (but totally should) as we do have a bbq (for the hubby’s meat). These look phenomenal!

9. Lou says:

yum! Me and Viper are mega pizza fans…. you should get a pizza stone (or you can even just use a terracota tile) you heat the stone up in the oven/or on grill so it gets super hot, then smack the pizza on it, and put the whole thing back in the oven…. crispy bottom, perfectly cooked top :) Hooray!

mmmm grilling.

10. I’ve never made a grilled pizza before, that sounds amazing! I’ve also never had eggplant as a pizza topping, that is a great idea though :)

I have not had grilled pizza before. And apparently, I have not lived! This looks and sounds fabulous!!

12. gorgeous!!!!!!!!!
    i’d love some melted daiya vegan cheese atop mine, but probably only on sundays. :D
    seriously, i love that you and manfriend are the healthiest and cutest couple that i know (and i know lots of them).
    lovely post! quite pretty! :)

13. Fact of life: everything tastes better grilled! Your posts always spur a craving…and leave me kinda hungry :)

14. Oh my gosh. I never have, but now I NEED to!!!!

15. Miss. Zoe says:

I haven’t tried grilled pizza and I’m pretty sure a grill will be B and I’s first purchase for the new place [when we find one], I’m sure your new cookbooks [that are on their way!!!!] will give you some great idea’s for grilling!

16. Miss. Zoe says:

Has manfriend always been healthy? I’m having trouble getting B to come around! I just keep telling him I want him to live forever with me

• Brittany says:

No! Haha, he was a meat eating, beer drinking manly man when we met. I got so lucky with him because I never once tried to persuade him to eat what I was eating, he WANTED to eat vegetarian (and vegan) with me. After a few months of hanging out he got sick off of some meat and decided to go vegetarian. He’s been eating vegan with me the past month and he loves it just as much as I do (or so he tells me.) Beer is still in the equation (as it should be) but he gets just as excited as I do about cooking vegetables and eating apples. I heart him big time. =) Good luck with B, it’s not easy..I really can’t believe how lucky I got with Manfriend.

17. I have never made a grilled pizza . This recipe is a keeper.

18. Murika @ shinytimes says:

i need a grill. i never imagined there was a homemade pizza i hadn’t spent a lifetime loving yet. maybe i should start with a yard..or a porch..then a grill. then this magic pizza everyday!!! looks so good!

19. this looks awesome!! I have made grilled pizzas before and I loved them, but my hubby didnt really see the point lol Owell. I cant wait to bust out our grill!!

20. imakeeper says:

gahhhhh swoon. I have never ever made pizza on the grill but this is my new summer goal, in addition to getting abs and mauling men. This looks deliscious. I love it. I think you and Manfriend need to open a cafe or a bed and breakfast. I would come and stay for … ever. And then we could eat meals together like this one. And you could teach others the way of the grill. It would be like Obi Wan training but instead of a light saber as a weapon, it is veggies. RAWR.

21. Cara says:

This looks awesome! I don’t own a grill, but when I visit my dad this Summer, you bet I’ll be doing some MAJOR convincing (haha and sneak him into eating something vegan). Oh and this may be an utterly ridonkulous question, but I searched your blog and couldn’t find it, so what is your email?

22. I’ve never made pizza on the grill, but I really want to try it at some point! Yours looks delicious!

23. Pingback: Mush | BlissfulBritt