If You Can’t Eat Them..

..Recreate them!

I don’t know if everyone is aware of this, but last Sunday was Easter. What is Easter best known for in my house? Reese’s eggs. Gone are the days that I could suck down 5 eggs in one sitting without getting sick or feeling like Carnie Wilson pre surgery number two.

I recently decided to go vegan for a week..which then turned into a month..which may turn into six months..who knows! The point being I wasn’t going to change my diet just for Easter eggs. After successfully avoiding sweets for a week, (this was a challenge..I need chocolate like birds need to dance before they swoon a mate) I decided to satisfy my year round craving and make my own, “vegan friendly” PB cups.

Vegan PB cups

-For the chocolate

• 1.5 cups vegan semisweet chocolate
  • 2tblsp creamy peanut butter

-For the filling

• 3/4 cup of creamy peanut butter
  • 1/3 cup of brown sugar

For the chocolate- combine chocolate and peanut butter in a pot using a double boiler (or a microwave safe bowl if you’re into using microwaves.) Once melted, coat a paper liner with chocolate. This recipe makes about 12 cups, so I used a muffin pan and prepared 12 liners. Coat the bottom and about 1/4 of the way up the liner. Once all 12 are complete, place the pan in the fridge to chill, about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare the filling by mixing the PB and brown sugar in a bowl. Divide the mixture between the 12 chilled paper liners. Chill for 20 minutes. Finally, add the remaining chocolate to the tops of the 12 cups, and chill for another 20 minutes.

Super simple recipe, in fact I concluded the brown sugar isn’t necessary, although it does give a nice grainy crunch to the cups. With that said you could easily melt some chocolate, add PB, and top with chocolate. Voilà. Pair these with some vanilla coconut ice cream and you’ll never be tempted by DQ commercials again.

29 Responses to If You Can’t Eat Them..

1. These look great! And I bet your recreation cost less than the real thing :)

2. Natalie @Will Jog For Food says:

Amazing!! I want to eat one right now.

Yummo! Must make these :D

4. wayyy better than the real things!

5. Nothing really beats chocolate and PB.

6. Oh gosh, LOVE THIS! These would be perfect for one of my staff members who has some sensitivities!

7. NO WAY- I can’t believe you made these…they look so pretty…and delicious! Bonus of making your own cups: you can load up on the filling :)!

8. Corrie Anne says:

MMm.. those are beautiful. I made some for Kevin over Easter that weren’t quite as healthy. Lol.

9. myhighonlife says:

Yumm!! Those look so good. My boy got me a 6 pack of reese’s eggs and it’s killing me not to eat them all. Too bad I’m on a hardcore diet. :(

10. Delicious! I love that you’re finding ways to edit your foods to fit your new diet. Hurrah for not giving it up :D and homemade is always best!

11. yourloveboat says:

Yummm…I love this alternative recipe! I’m going to definitely have to try this sometime.

12. p0cahontas says:

I was very impressive with myself with only sticking to home made treats this easter, aka carrot carrot and maybe a cupcake or two but normally I wolf down those luscious eggs. Bravo with the recreate! I’m pretty terrified of baking but I believe you that these were great!

13. yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!!!!!!!!!
    that’s 9 yes’s
    and 9 exclamation points
    because 9 is my favourite number!
    and these are my favourite peanut butter cups!!!!!!!!! :D

14. Those sound INCREDIBLE!!! What a great recipe! <3

15. Laura says:

Those sound (and look) amazing – I definitely need to try them soon!

16. Simple and delicious! I bet my hubby would love these!

17. Jamie Walker says:

uh oh. I might be in danger now that I’ve seen this recipe. I love anything chocolate and peanut butter. Yikes! ;)

Sounds yummy! I have found that recipes like these prevent me from even wanting the packaged candy!

19. I love that you recreated PB cups! They look just as great as the real ones. :)

20. Errign says:

Yummmmmmm. PB cups are totally my weakness!

21. Jessica says:

The pb cups look delicious! I ate a reese cup earlier today!

22. TriGirl says:

Stopping by to say hi as a Sweat Pink ambassador :) I LOVE pb cups! I also love that you were able to make them so easily!

23. What an awesome recipe :D
    So easy to make and everyone friendly!

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

24. Pingback: One Upped PB Cup | BlissfulBritt

25. Dottie Donut says:

These look so yummeh. I want some. I have not tried making candy yet, but I think these should be the first thing I try!