Cookie Garden

Yesterday I went to the nursery. Not the one with screaming, drool dripping linoleum lizard like children, the fun one..the one with the plants. Yesterday was the day to choose the vegetables to grow in the mini wine boxed garden. After words with the plant man, the man that could probably grow a bean stock into the clouds with all the information swarming in his brain, the vegetables were chosen.

From left to right: Pre-started Swiss chard, beet seeds, carrot seeds, and pre-started walla walla onions. As much as I wanted to go hog wild and get the broccoli and Brussels sprouts too, I figured starting slow was my best bet. The last thing I need is another Audrey II being born.

Of course, vegetables without soil is like a dinosaur without colossal turds..it’s just impossible. For that reason, a bag of soil and a bag of soil builder rich in chicken manure was purchased. Mmm if only I were a kale plant, chicken manure sure sounds tasty. Too much poo talk for one small paragraph?

Let’s recap the garden goods all together now. The four plant starters listed above, the garlic plant I spoke of here (this garlic is SPROUTING another alien baby inside its already alien limbs yahooo), and another addition..a slow growing addition is the avocado tree.

If I’m lucky I’ll be sipping mojitos and stuffing my suck with homemade guacamole..made with home grown avocados by the time I’m 30.

Upon arrival back at casa de Manfriend, the gremlin living in my stomach was having a tugging party on my hunger nerves. After woofing down a tomato, sprout, avocado, cheese, and spinach sammich..it was time to make cookies.

Orange White Chocolate Chip Cookies

• 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup coconut oil (melted)
  • 1/2 cup raw sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 tblsp orange zest (about two oranges worth)
  • 1 cup white chocolate chips (possibly more if you like it chip heavy like me)

I also added the juice from the orange, which made the dough harder to stick together in order to form nice balls. The cookies will fall apart easier if you’re not careful, but the extra juice really added to the flavor.

1. Preheat oven to 375.
  2. In small bowl mix flour, baking soda, and salt
  3. In large bowl mix melted coconut oil and sugar. Then add the egg and vanilla until smooth.
  4. Gradually add flour mix until combined, then stir in the orange zest (and juice if you choose) and white chips.
  5. Bake on ungreased cookie sheets for 8-10 minutes. Do not overcook!

Now if only I could grow a cookie garden…

Q: If you could grow anything in a garden (I mean anything..cookies, whole pizzas, kittens) what would it be?? Chocolate cake for me.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Cookie Garden

1. imakeeper says:

I would grow SMOOOOOOTHIES. or books. Probably smoothies because they are tastier than books.

Oh, I am very excited for your gardening adventures. I hope everything turns out. Maybe if it gets a little out of control and you end up having a surplus you can sell your fresh veggies for some mullah and then buy some choco cake? Or more cookie mix? Or me a plane ticket so I can visit and try all your super-veggie-power foods that I never eat?

2. figs! Haha I’ve always wanted a garden or an orchard :D

3. Kittens…and ice cream.

I would grow puppies, kabocha squash and books in my garden, even though apples would be amazing too! You’re becoming a regular ol green thumb! :D

5. Lucie says:

Orange white choc chip cookies, YUM! Looks exactly like something I need this weekend!

6. karinacocina17 says:

haha i love your avocado tree aspirations!

7. if you figure out how to make a cookie garden, please let me know :P
    and yay! gardening!!!

8. Lou says:

Your cookies sound YUMMO…. orange and white chocolate is such a yummy combo. mmmm I would love to grow apples or maybe an almond butter tree… or a tree that grows apples that are covered in almond butter…. YES.

9. busymomblogs says:

I’m getting ready to start my spring garden too! Baking and gardening, gatta love it!

10. Everything looks great, except I’d stay away from Burpee seeds they get seeds from from Seminis and/or Monsanto which means GMO seeds.

11. amy41143 says:

Yum, what a good combo for the cookies! I want one!
    PS – I never thought I would ever hear the analogy “vegetables without soil is like a dinosaur without colossal turds”. Well done.

12. If I could grow a fro yo garden, I would probably be the best gardener in town…I’m just sayin’ :)!

13. Sounds like fun! Those cookies look delicious too

14. funfreshfit says:

If only I didn’t kill every plant that came my way… I’d totally have my own garden! And those cookies look bomb!

15. i want a garden so bad! i would probably want a frozen yogurt garden. ohmy. i have no idea how that would work but i would totally be in the garden everyday eating all the frozen yogurt my little hard desired. now i want frozen yogurt! and these cookies. oh gosh. i need food haha

16. B says:

Those cookies look awesome! Good luck with your garden!

It’s so much fun to get ready for garden season! We bought seeds yesterday…and I’m sure we went overboard, but I guess we’ll find out once we get started trying to plant all of it!

I’d definitely plant pizza in my garden.

18. caloricandcrazy says:

Mmmmm chocolate cookies :)

19. Corrie Anne says:

I’d grow mac ‘n’ cheese!!!! And flip-flops!!!

20. Alyse says:

Hahaha there’s no such thing as too much poop talk ;) Your garden is going to be amazing. I planted my first one last year and loved seeing all the little green things come up out of the earth!

21. Kat says:

Oh my goodness those cookies!! I love me some white chocolate chips. Love all the healthful ingrdients in them as well!

22. You’re going to have an amazing garden! Those chocolate chips look divine too… I’d grow mache! I’m addicted to that stuff

23. I would totally grow a TCBY in my backyard that never ran out! ha One can only dream :) On a healthier note I would actually like to grow my own sweet potatoes and peppers someday!